Elections 2021

Enrolling to vote as a Resident

You are automatically enrolled to vote if you are on the State Electoral Roll as at close of enrollments. If you are not already on the State Electoral Roll and meet the eligibility criteria, or if you have changed address recently, you must complete an enrollment form.

You can check your enrollment online here, or contact the WA Electoral Commission on 13 63 06.

You can learn more about enrollment here.

Enrollments close at 5:00 pm on 27 August 2021.

Non-Resident Owner and Occupiers

People who own or occupy property within a local government district can apply to their local government to be included on the roll as an owner/occupier, as long as they are eligible electors. A body corporate may apply to have up to two eligible electors to be included on the owner/occupier roll.

All eligible electors are allowed to vote once in any district for which they are enrolled. If a person lives within one local district and owns or occupies property in a different district  then they may be entitled to a vote in both areas provided they are enrolled for those addresses.  To apply to enrol as an owner/occupier, you will need to complete and return this form to the Shire before rolls close.

How to Vote

On polling day (Saturday 16 October 2021) electors go to designated polling places (the Shire Administration Office on Macpherson Street, Carnamah, or the Eneabba Administration Sub-Office, Lot 383 Eneabba Drive, Eneabba) to cast their vote. The Carnamah polling places is open from 8:00am to 6:00pm, and the Eneabba polling place is open 8:00am to 5:00pm. 

Own Property Outside the Shire of Carnamah?

If you also own or occupy property in another district you may eligible to vote in that district. For example, if you own property in the Shire of Mingenew, you may eligible to vote in the Mingenew district. Contact the relevant Local Government to query your enrolment status and make any necessary applications.

What does a Councillor do?

Councillors are elected to represent the interest of all electors and residents and provide leadership and guidance to the community. They play an important community leadership role and create policies and resolve decisions that the Council makes about what happens locally. Councillors generally do not have any authority to act or make decisions as individuals. They are members of an elected body that makes decisions on behalf of a local government through a formal meeting process.

If you haven’t already, we recommend you have a look at the minutes from past Council meetings to see what decisions Council makes or come along to a Council meeting to see one in person; Council meets on the third Wednesday of every month (except January).

For more information, check out these fact sheets from the Department of Local Government Spot and Cultural Industries:

If you think you might be interested in the role, have a look at the below two videos:

1. video from the WA Local Government Association

2. Video from the WA Local Government Association (Election Candidate Information Briefing)

How do I nominate to become a Councillor?

To be eligible, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or older; and
  • be an elector of the district (if you are only an elector because you are a nominee of a body corporate then you are not eligible to stand for council).

You are not eligible if you:

  • are a member of State or Federal Parliament;
  • are an insolvent under administration;
  • are serving a prison sentence for a crime;
  • have been convicted of a serious local government offence within the last five years (unless the court has waived the disqualification);
  • have been convicted on indictment of an offence for which the indictable penalty was or included imprisonment for life, or imprisonment for more than five years;
  • are a member of another council;
  • are subject to a court order disqualifying you from being a council member because you have misapplied local government funds or property;
  • are on the local electoral roll as the nominee of a body corporate;
  • are currently disqualified by the State Administrative Tribunal from holding office as a member of a council.

Before Nominating

Prior to nominating in local government elections, all candidates will be required to complete the online candidate induction.

The candidate induction has been developed to assist people who are thinking about becoming a local government councillor to better understand the role. It outlines the responsibilities of council and councillors as well as election and campaigning rules. The induction will also serve as a refresher to those who have previously been a councillor and informs them of any recent changes to their obligations in the role.

The candidate induction is free and is available on the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries’ website. For those who do not have access to the internet, please visit the Shire offices to complete the module online. It is important that all prospective candidates complete the registration form at the end of the candidate induction. This will ensure your completion is recorded by the department and you can retain the confirmation email for your records.

All candidates nominating for council will be required to declare that they have competed the candidate induction at the time of nomination, which will be verified with the Department.

If you wish to nominate yourself, the form is located here, or to nominate someone else use this form .