Heritage Park and Memorials

Carnamah Heritage Park

In 2021 an anonymous donation started a ‘commemorative wall’ project, with the aim of enabling residents and those closely associated with Carnamah to have a dedicated place to ‘leave their stamp’ and display their family history. A dedicated un-incorporated body (‘Friends of the Heritage Park’) was drawn together to manage the project and raise additional funding. The ‘Friends’ raised over $75k (including a $25k donation from the Shire) and the project blossomed into the “Carnamah Heritage Park”.

The Park, located in the heart of the town, currently features 18 steel plinths on which stainless steel plaques displaying family history can be mounted. | Map 

 

PURCHASE OF CARNAMAH HERITAGE PARK PLAQUE

Shire of Carnamah, in association with the ‘Friends of the Heritage Park’, is pleased to provide members of the community the opportunity to place a memorial plaque reflecting their heritage links with Carnamah at the Heritage Park, Macpherson Street, Carnamah.

Memorial plaques can be purchased from the Shire to be placed on one of the 15 ‘community’ plinths that have been erected at the Heritage Park.
All community memorial plaques are 297mm x 210mm (A4 size) and will be laser cut on brushed stainless steel.

To apply for a plaque, fill in the Plaque order form. 

Carnamah Historical Society

The Carnamah Historical Society was formed in 1983 to collect, record, preserve and promote local history. It established and run the Carnamah Museum, restored and care for the historic Macpherson Homestead, and share local and Western Australian history online.


Visitor Information
●  Carnamah Museum
●  Macpherson HomesteadVisitor EnquiriesGeorge Fowler
Email  george@carnamah.com.au
Telephone  08 9951 1690
Mobile  0439 966 040Local History & Website EnquiriesAndrew Bowman-Bright
Email  andrew@carnamah.com.au
Mobile  0457 911 984

Carnamah War Memorial

The Carnamah War Memorial is situated to the west of the Perth to Geraldton highway, the Midlands Road, in front of the Railway Station (which has since been removed), facing east towards our main street, Macpherson Street.The 3.5m high tapered memorial is made of granite, and stands on three tiers. The top tier being 1.2m², the second 1.5m², and the bottom one 2.15m². Each tier is 23cm deep. Cement slabs surround the memorial.

The War Memorial originally had four granite posts with thick chains through each of them located around the memorial and the cement slabs. These have since been relocated to the positions you see today. Neat lawns and shrubs surround the memorial and are maintained by the Shire of Carnamah. The white marble plaque on the memorial has the names in black letters of those who gave their lives from Carnamah in the First World War and from Carnamah and Coorow during the Second World War.

When this memorial was built in 1931, the Carnamah and Coorow towns were a joint Road Board, the War Memorial was built by public subscription.

In September 1932, the Returned Services League requested the Road Board to floodlight the memorial. This was done and the type of floodlighting has been changed over the years.

 

Eneabba War Service Memorial Wall